Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Why I Decided to Embark on This HHJ

Hey,

So some morning after class, I decided to go to the library to do some studying. Before I start a study session, I check Facebook, thesun.co.uk, and Bella Naija. Yep, as I was going through the posts on Bella Naija, I saw a post about a full blooded Nigerian girl with MBL and was shocked. I always imagined that length like that was only possible for African American and mixed girls, so I asked myself why my hair was not as long or even close, and decided to go through her blog. From her blog, I discovered lots of new information.

I learnt that to gain such length, I have to retain what I currently have. I also learned that even though I had braids in or a weave, I should wash, condition and moisturize my hair underneath as frequently as I would if my hair was 'free'. Furthermore, I discovered the art of different protective stylings to do while I had my hair 'free'. I aslo learned that I NEED to sleep with a satin or silk scarf/pillowcase in order to retain moisture.

Yes, as you can imagine, these were 'common' knowledge to most girls but me. I became a youtube addict. I started researching all things relaxed, hair growth and the likes.

So, here I am, with my new 'addiction' if you may. I call it an addiction, not in a bad way, but in a good way. This is because I really to get attached to something I am determined to achieve. For instance, last year, I was determined to lose weight and I did just that (13kg lighter). Some saw my little habits that led to my weight loss (constantly checking my weight) as addictive, I saw it as motivation? Now I look at 'researching and learning about hair' as my new motivation.

Thanks for reading and join me in this journey.
Dumebi. :)


1 comment: